Sunday, May 20, 2007

Never Say I Don't Like A Challenge....

Deux has challenged me to define the term neo-con. As a teacher, I sometimes caution my students against using Wikipedia as a resource, but sometimes it come in handy. So check out this very detailed history and definition of the neo-con movement at the following link:

Three_pillars_of_Neoconservatism

Confused? Of course you are-because even neo-cons can't agree on a definition!

However, I will give you my views of the movement based on observation and discussion. It can be reduced to one sentence: "Everyone else is wrong, and we are right- and if you don't agree with us, nannie nannie doo-doo." There is no room for negotiation, either in their beliefs or with other political ideologies, and anyone who goes against their beliefs is harshly criticized, at times patronized, often vilified, sometimes slandered, and the what not. Many, like Jonah Goldberg and Ann Coulter, are venomous, bigoted, nationalistic and homophobic, and verge on the fascist. Many, like Deux, and, I believe, Chris Muir (as much as he often infuriates me, he still makes me laugh) are not-indeed they are quite reasonable and intelligent individuals. So, it is a plethora of feelings and beliefs. However, they all share one trait in common: don't you dare say they are wrong.

Deux has also challenged me to dissect BLOOM COUNTY and Doonesbury in the same manner in which I dissected DAY BY DAY. So, I will give it the old college try.

What I learned from Bloom County:
  • Small Children and penguins have all the answers to life.
  • It takes a long time for a true to conservative to come out of the closet, and then watch out bucko, cause perfect male-mate Steve Dallas is on the loose and crusin' the gay ghetto.
  • All Cats Have Hairballs
  • Monsters lurk in all closets, and are usually made up of our everday fears.
  • The best way to enjoy life is by relaxing in a field of dandelions in your underwear.
  • You are a geek if you don't role play Star Trek and Star Wars.
What I learned from Doonesbury:
  • Slacker teens and potheads have all the answers to life.
  • It takes a long time for a true liberal to come out of the closet, and then watch out, cause perfect bear-male-mate Mark Slackmeyer is on the loose and cruisin' the airwaves.
  • The best way to enjoy life is by relaxing in Walden Puddle.
  • Conservative, war-hawk-football players, suntan worshiping hippies who never age, not as dumb as you think and not as smart as they appear blonds, and nerdy, bookish liberals can get along because they all played on the same football team in college and /or lived in the same commune during the '70's, thus proving that true friendship is not defined by political affiliation, religion, color, or creed, but endures through the ages. (See: Deux and Captjack as exemplors)
  • Unlike Bloom County, not all comic strips evolve into better versions of themselves after they jumped the shark the twenty years ago.
Anyone want to add anything else?

4 comments:

Citizen Deux said...

Interesting - I would contend that "neocon" is a meaningless label, and Wikipedia is not source. Princeton only allows the small definition which is more technical than philosophical.

Webster's Dictionary Online has a slightly better tilt, they state that it is a philosophy that American democratic principles should be promoted, including through military force.

In that regard I agree. I have a frim belief that our system of government and our society is superior to others. I also believe that other nations would flourish under that system.

However, I also recognize that some governments and societies are far from ready to take that leap. Iraq, we have discovered, was not so advanced as we had thought. Japan and Germany "converted" after a military struggle, however, the material starting point was much more robust than with Iraq.

sonicfrog said...

I like neoluddites better. I just do.

BostonMaggie said...

I am a neocon...the unreasonable kind.

Anonymous said...

"It can be reduced to one sentence: "Everyone else is wrong, and we are right- and if you don't agree with us, nannie nannie doo-doo." There is no room for negotiation, either in their beliefs or with other political ideologies, and anyone who goes against their beliefs is harshly criticized, at times patronized, often vilified, sometimes slandered, and the what not."

Sounds a lot like the people I see everyday here in San Francisco. And the ones who read Kos all the time.